One frame to rule them all!
We created the 396 TR as a trail day / race day (TR) frame. The 396 TR works seamlessly with two different wheel and tire size configurations available for bicycles today. This gives you the option to fit smaller wheels with larger volume tires for “trail day” riding. And to have a second set of the larger size wheels with smaller volume tires for your event, “race day”.
- 396 TR fits 27.5″ wheels with 2.8″ to 3.0″ tires for everyday riding
- 396 TR fits 29″ wheels with 2.2″ tires for race day riding
Why did we develop the frame this way? The trail day / race day format gives you the maximum flexibility for using your bike. This has many advantages for you the rider, most importantly familiarity with your bike come the day of your event which is key to your personal success. Your confidence in the fit, handling and performance of your machine helps you to better deal with the other demands “race day” brings. The format gives you the ability to swap in the bigger tires for unplanned wet or technical courses. This is particularly useful for the growing trend of “Enduro” style stages at the multi day race formats. The larger volume tires provide an extra measure of confidence and “cush” without needing a second bike. Also remember our frame accepts dropper posts for an added level of go fast, get rad (GFGR) fun!
Our frame’s versatility and great features don’t end with the wheels. The over-sized Press-Fit BB30 works with our bottom brackets or others to allow you to fit any style of crank you wish. We can even fit an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the chain should you want to run the frame as a single speed. We have a generous amount of chain ring clearance allowing up to 36 teeth! This gives you the most gearing options for 1 x 11 and 1 x 12 drive trains. Our exclusive drop chain stay replaces the flat plates and extra welding found on other frames. This strengthens this critical junction while reducing weight.
The s-bend down tube accommodates two large water bottles on all three frame sizes including the small. The external cable routing is modular and is easily switched from two to three cables to tailor the fit to your exact component specifications. We added a third set of mounts to the top tube for your extra tube, air, lights or Bento box to hold your food. This makes our frame ideal for Xterra or Marathon Mountain Biking events.
- 6061-T6 Aluminum Hydroformed Frame
- Head Tube: Tapered 1 1/8″ tp 1 1/2″
- Bottom Bracket: Press-Fit BB30
- Seat Post Diameter: Ø30.9mm
- Seat Tube Clamp Diameter: Ø34.9mm
- Rear Spacing: BOOST 148 x 12 x 1.5 TPI
- E-Thru Axle included
- Fork Offset: 51mm
- Max Fork Height: 536mm
- Flat Mount Rear Disc Brake: 160 adapter included
- Triple cable guides included
- Internal dropper post inlet cable guide included
- Small: 3.9 lbs [1.8 kg]
- Medium: 4.2 lbs [1.9 kg]
- Large: 4.4 lbs [2.0 kg]
- Weights shown include paint and hanger
- Cable guide hardware is 1.1 ounces [31 grams]
GFGR Geometry for the 396 TR
|FRAME SIZE||SM 396 TS||MD 396 TS||LG 396 TS|
|MIN RIDER HIEGHT (STD OVER)||5′ 3″||5′ 4″||5′ 6″|
|MIN RIDER HEIGHT (SEAT POST)||5′||5′ 2″||5′ 4″|
|MAX RIDER HEIGHT (SEAT POST)||5′ 10″||6′ 3″||6′ 4″|
|MIN RIDER HEIGHT (REACH)||5′||5′ 3″||5′ 6″|
|MAX RIDER HEIGHT (REACH)||5′ 8″||5′ 11″||6′ 2″|
* Measurements given at 20% of SAG for a 120mm fork dimension for proper fitting and ride height. Max fork travel is 140mm, Max fork Height is 536mm, HT angle with a DVO Beryl BOOST 29/27.5+ set to 140 travel or FOX 27.5 PLUS 130 travel fork is 68.2°, BOOST 110 x 15 front fork spacing required.
Learn more about our geometry philosophy here.
And don’t forget a seat collar!